Tuesday 8 February 2011

Inspiration!

In our group, we have all been looking at the opening sequences and titles to films to inspire us about what to do for our opening sequence.
I looked at 7 films and made notes on their openings. The films I looked at were:
  • Psycho (Alfred Hitchcock, 1960)
  • American Beauty (Sam Mendes, 1999)
  • Rosemary's Baby (Roman Polanski, 1968)
  • Seven (David Fincher, 1995)
  • Hot Fuzz (Edgar Wright, 2007)
  • Delicatessen (Marc Caro and Jean-Pierre Jeunet, 1991) and
  • Momento (Christopher Nolan, 2000).
The categories I made notes on were:
  1. Representation - of gender/class/ethnicity/age etc
  2. Mise - en - scene
  3. Use of the camera
  4. Sound
  5. Unrestricted/restricted narration
  6. Form (structure/narrative order/number of lines of action)
  7. Target audience and
  8. Titles, what's interseting and why?
My favourtie opening sequence of the films I studied was Delicatessan's.

I liked this because it gave the sense it was a really scary film and it was actually a comedy when I watched all of it. It set the theme for the whole film and I personally thought this was a really good way to establish the story of the film.

After watching the opening sequences to American Beauty and Memento in a group, we all decided that we liked the idea of playing around with time and we've decided to incorporate this into our sequence.


No comments:

Post a Comment